Recreational Marijuana: What You Need to Know
While it's not legal at the federal level, Montana residents voted in favor of approving recreational marijuana and as of January 1, 2022, any adult 21 years or older can consume marijuana in the state of Montana and purchase in approved counties including Flathead County (Kalispell). Consumers can buy a variety of products, including marijuana flower, edibles and concentrates.
As this is new for Montana, there are some things you need to know:
- It's against the law to cross state lines or fly with marijuana. If you buy it here, be sure to consume it here.
- The use of marijuana is still prohibited on all federal lands and waters, including Glacier National Park and U.S. forests.
- An individual may purchase up to one ounce of marijuana per transaction.
- The legal limit of marijuana you are allowed to possess is one ounce. Any amount over that is considered illegal and can be subject to fines.
- You cannot consume cannabis in public. Be sure to check with the place you're staying - hotel, motel, vacation house, etc. - to see if they allow consumption on their property.
- Don't drive under the influence of marijuana, as it can result in a DUI.
- While there is no statewide sales tax in Montana, marijuana purchases include a flat 20% sales tax.
Check out Tamarack Cannabis for products!