Your Guide to Downtown Kalispell, Montana
While some things change, others remain the same. That statement is perhaps the most true in downtown Kalispell, where Main Street is lined with historic buildings that date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s. Downtown’s character-filled structures and storefronts create the perfect environment for an afternoon stroll. And while the history of Kalispell is firmly intact in and around downtown, you’re not going to find any stuffy, sleepy or boring vibes here.
Downtown is well on its way to being an 18-hour vibrant destination and is the perfect combination of old and new, as its famed buildings house shops, stores, watering holes, restaurants, galleries and hotels, each bringing their own distinct personality to the heart of Kalispell.
No trip to Kalispell is complete without a visit to downtown. And to help make the most of your time in our mountain town, here are five reasons downtown should be on your list.
- Local stores. There are lots of places to shop in Kalispell, but for the truly unique – we’re talking made-in-Montana items, antiques, vintage, jewelry and clothing boutiques – downtown is the place to be. A few of note: Rocky Mountain Outfitter, Sassafras, Sage & Cedar, Western Outdoor, Honey Home and Design, Swappers Antiques, The Toggery and Wheaton’s Cycle.
- Public art. From murals to traffic boxes and everything in between, downtown is brimming with public art. Be sure to take time to stroll along the streets and avenues to spot the 12 traffic boxes, peep murals and check out the creativity of local artists. Download a map.
- Mouth-watering restaurants. With an ever-growing selection of culinary offerings that include restaurants, breweries, wineries and more, Kalispell is quickly becoming the dining hotspot for the Flathead Valley. Grab a burger or huckleberry shake from the always-classic Norm’s News, sip on wine at MontaVino, dig into distinct cuisine (like a yak burger) at Hop’s Downtown Grill, try Mercantile Steak for a local twist on classic dishes or kick back at Alchemy Lounge. Want more? Good, because that’s just the beginning. See all the incredible downtown restaurants here.
- Parkline Trail. Kalispell’s newest trail, the Parkline Trail meanders 2 miles through downtown and is fully paved, making it a great place to explore. It’s open to walkers, rollerbladers and runners, with public art along the way. The trail also has a cool history, as it sits where the tracks of the Great Northern Railway used to be when the trains rolled into the heart of downtown to deliver and ship goods.
- The heart of it all. Sure, a place can be pretty. And it can have great offerings of things to do. But around here, we know that it's the people who help make the place. When you explore downtown, be sure to take the time to get to the heart of it all – the people who call this place home. Pony up at the KM Bar and ask the bartender about his favorite hike, ask a local shop owner her favorite things to do in the area or visit with the front desk attendant at your hotel about their must-see places.
Want more information about downtown Kalispell? Visit this page or swing into our Visitor Center (15 Depot Park) in downtown.